- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Buses between Belize City and Corozal run hourly during daylight hours in both directions, and many of these continue on to Chetumal, Mexico.
Bus service to the villages and other sites off the Northern Highway is limited, so to reach them you're best off with a rental car or a guided tour. Several small bus lines, including Northern Transport, Gil Harry, Tillett's, T-Line, and others, make the 3- to 3½-hour journey between Belize City and Corozal Town, approximately every hour. About half the buses continue on to Chetumal, Mexico. Any nonexpress bus will stop and pick up almost anywhere along the highway. The cost is about BZ$10, or BZ$12 for express service. There's limited bus service on the Old Northern Highway and from Orange Walk to Sarteneja. Two daily buses go from Chetumal to Sarteneja.
In addition to regular buses, a Guatemalan tourism bus operator, Linéa Dorada, operates a daily bus from the main Chetumal bus terminal, currently leaving at 5 am and going all the way to Flores, Guatemala, near Tikal. The trip takes about eight hours and costs around BZ$70.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe