When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
The four seasons are clearly defined here: nicely balanced periods of sun and rain bring springtime blossoms and flowers with a vengeance, thanks to the many orchards and fields; summer temperatures zoom upward to between 21°Celsius (70°F) and 32°C (90°F), depending on whether it's a dry or wet one; the abundance of deciduous trees in this region means splashes of color in a crisp-aired, windy fall; and winter dumps lots of snow and brings temperatures hovering around –5°C (23°F) in town, down to –25° C (–13°F) on some mountaintops.
Summers in eastern Switzerland provide the best weather and activities; spring and fall are good alternatives. Although most places in this region are not too terribly crowded even in summer, Schaufassen can become thick with tour buses and Stein-am-Rhein chocked with spandex-clad cyclists looping around the Bodensee. Go earlier in the day or on a weekday when crowds are a bit thinner.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe