- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Mürren is perched on a mountaintop shelf—5,361 feet high, to be precise. This village, along with neighboring Wengen, has always lured the rich and famous. The birthplace of downhill and slalom skiing (in the 1920s), Mürren offers extraordinarily peaceful mountain nights and an unrivaled panorama of the Jungfrau, Mönch, and Eiger, all set so close you feel you can almost reach out and touch them. Skiers may want to settle here for daredevil skiing at the top (the annual Inferno Race in January is the largest amateur downhill in the world). Hikers can combine bluff-top trails with staggering views. This is a car-free resort, so no parking lots spoil the scenery.
Mürren at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Berner Oberland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's