- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The world's first open-air museum, Skansen was founded in 1891 by philologist and ethnographer Artur Hazelius, who is buried here. Drawing from all parts of the country, he preserved examples of traditional Swedish architecture, including farmhouses, windmills, barns, a working glassblower's hut, and churches. Not only is Skansen a delightful trip out of time in the center of a modern city, but it also provides insight into the life and culture of Sweden's various regions. In addition, the park has a zoo, carnival area, aquarium, theater, and cafés.
- Address: Djurgårdsslätten 49-51, Djurgården, Stockholm, 115 93 | Map It
- Phone: 08/4428000
- Cost: Park and zoo: Jan.--Apr. SKr 70, May and Sept. SKr 90, June--Aug. SKr 110. Aquarium SKr 100.
- Hours: Nov.--Feb., weekdays 10--3, weekends 10-4; Mar., Apr., and Oct., daily 10--4; May--June 19, daily 10--8; June 20--Aug. 10--8; Sept., daily 10--8.
- Website: www.skansen.se
- Location: Djurgården and Skansen
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low V?ster?s Rate: Book Fr $130+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $48/night less
- Save in V?ster?s: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $174+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $999 Expedia
- Save $$ in V?ster?s: Book Fr $97+/Nt — $97 Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Crystal Cruises Fr $4,305 — $4,305 Expedia
My film “Vikings, Tivoli and Trolls” presents the highlights of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, starring Copenhagen’s colorful Nyhavn Canal, entertainment at the Tivoli amusement park; Stockholm’s Read more
On 27th Dec. Read more
We are a group of Danish students that would really appreciate if you would take 1 minute of your time to answer this questionnaire.
Our goal is to get some information on traveling habits of backpackers Read more
· News & Features
High on design, Stockholm is the perfect place for a summertime stay.... Read more
Stockholm is more than IKEA, ABBA, and Absolut.... Read more
Home to eight Michelin-starred restaurants, Stockholm is a definite dining capital.... Read more