- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Hit the Centro Histórico: The Plaza Mayor on any late night when it's almost empty is the place that best evokes the glory of Spain's Golden Age.
Stroll down museum row: Find a pleasant mix of art and architecture in the Prado, the Reina Sofía, and the Thyssen, all of which display extensive and impressive collections.
Nibble tapas into the night: Indulge in a madrileño way of socializing. Learn about the art oftapas and sample local wines while wandering among the bars of Cava Baja.
Relax in the Retiro gardens: Visit on a Sunday morning, when it's at its most boisterous, to unwind and take in the sun and merrymaking.
Burn the midnight oil: When other cities turn off their lights, madrileños swarm to the bars of the liveliest neighborhoods—Malasaña, Chueca, Lavapiés, and more—and stretch the party out until dawn.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enjoy Spain on a Budget! Flights to Madrid From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Madrid Savings! Book at Compostela Suites Apartments Fr $66+/Nt Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- Book Now & Save! Madrid Fr $135+/Nt Travelocity
- Madrid 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1274 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Barcelo Torre Arias in Madrid Fr $97+/Nt — $97 Save with Expedia, $20/night less