- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Hit the Centro Histórico: The Plaza Mayor on any late night when it's almost empty is the place that best evokes the glory of Spain's Golden Age.
Stroll down museum row: Find a pleasant mix of art and architecture in the Prado, the Reina Sofía, and the Thyssen, all of which display extensive and impressive collections.
Nibble tapas into the night: Indulge in a madrileño way of socializing. Learn about the art oftapas and sample local wines while wandering among the bars of Cava Baja.
Relax in the Retiro gardens: Visit on a Sunday morning, when it's at its most boisterous, to unwind and take in the sun and merrymaking.
Burn the midnight oil: When other cities turn off their lights, madrileños swarm to the bars of the liveliest neighborhoods—Malasaña, Chueca, Lavapiés, and more—and stretch the party out until dawn.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe