- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sant Feliu de Guixols
You arrive at the little fishing port of Sant Feliu de Guixols, 23 km (15 mi) north of Tossa de Mar, after navigating a series of harrowing hairpin curves. Tiny turnouts or parking spots on this route nearly always lead to intimate coves and hidden inlets, with stone stairways winding down from the road.
The town itself is set in a small bay, and handsome Moderniste mansions line the seafront promenade, recalling former wealth from the cork industry. In front of them, an arching beach of fine white sand leads around to the fishing harbor at its north end. Behind the promenade, a well-preserved old quarter of narrow streets and squares leads to a 10th-century gateway with horseshoe arches (all that remains of a pre-Romanesque monastery); nearby, a church still stands that combines Romanesque, Gothic, and baroque styles.
Sant Feliu de Guixols at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Costa Brava
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $87 & up -- Barcelona: 4-Star Hotel thru Summer, 40% Off Mercure Augusta Barcelona Valles
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- Spain Family IExplore
- Spain Family — $3,569 IExplore