- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sant Feliu de Guixols
You arrive at the little fishing port of Sant Feliu de Guixols, 23 km (15 miles) north of Tossa de Mar, after navigating a series of harrowing hairpin curves. Tiny turnouts or parking spots on this route nearly always lead to intimate coves and hidden inlets, with stone stairways winding down from the road.
The town itself is set in a small bay, and handsome Moderniste mansions line the seafront promenade, recalling former wealth from the cork industry. In front of them, an arching beach of fine white sand leads around to the fishing harbor at its north end. Behind the promenade, a well-preserved old quarter of narrow streets and squares leads to a 10th-century gateway with horseshoe arches (all that remains of a pre-Romanesque monastery); nearby, a church still stands that combines Romanesque, Gothic, and baroque styles.
Sant Feliu de Guixols at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Costa Brava
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's