Discounted sightseeing passes are a great way to save money on visits to castles, gardens, and historic houses. Just check what the pass offers against your itinerary to be sure it's worthwhile.
The Scottish Explorer Ticket, available from any staffed Historic Scotland (HS) property and from many tourist information centers, allows visits to HS properties for 3 days in a 5-day period (£21), 7 days in a 14-day period (£30), or 10 days in a 30-day period (£35). The Trust Discovery Ticket, issued by the National Trust for Scotland, is available for 3 days (£12), 7 days (£17), or 14 days (£22) and allows access to all National Trust for Scotland properties. It's available to overseas visitors only and can be purchased from the National Trust for Scotland online and by phone, or at properties and some of the main tourist information centers.
The Great British Heritage Pass grants you access to sights administered by National Trust for Scotland and Historic Scotland as well as numerous other sights throughout Great Britain. A 7-day pass costs £54; 15-day (£72) and 30-day (£96) passes are also available.
Historic Scotland (0131/668-8831. www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/explorer.)
National Trust for Scotland (0131/458-0303. www.nts.org.uk.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe