Paintings of Scotland, starched white tablecloths, and giant windows overlooking the well-kept garden beckon you into this highly praised eatery. Locals love that the food is locally sourced and full of imagination. In season, try the globe artichoke and asparagus salad, then the braised fillet of turbot over saffron-and-shrimp quinoa. The "posh" fish-and-chips is one of the best around. Miss Lilly's Ecclefechan Butter Tart makes a great dessert. For a less expensive, more casual dining experience try the hotel's bistro, where the à la carte menu is just as imaginative and delicious.
- Address: Best Western Selkirk Arms, High St., Kirkcudbright, DG6 4JG
- Phone: 01557/330402
- Location: Kirkcudbright
- Reservations essential
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's