- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's See It Scotland, 4th Edition
Glasgow School of Art
Glasgow School of Art Review
This is the most stunning example of the genius of architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh, who was only 28 when he won the commission. He worked on every detail—down to the interior design, furnishings, and lighting—to make this iconic art nouveau building, built between 1897 and 1909, a unified whole. Even the drainpipes are an integral part of the design. The building still functions as an art school, so book ahead for the daily guided tours. Otherwise, you can visit four galleries that host frequently changing exhibitions. A visitor center has a small exhibit on the designer and sells a good selection of prints, postcards, and books. The School of Art also organizes walking tours of Mackintosh's Glasgow that cost £19.50. Opposite the school is the modern Reid Building, opening in 2014, part of ongoing campus redevelopment.
- Address: 11 Dalhousie St., City Center, Glasgow, G3 6RQ | Map It
- Phone: 0141/353–4526
- Cost: Tours £9.75
- Hours: Building daily 10:30–5. Exhibitions Mon.–Sat. 10:30–4:30, Sat. 10–2. Tours are frequent and available all yr, times vary.
- Website: www.gsa.ac.uk/tours
- Metro Cowcaddens.
- Location: City Center
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more