- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Glasgow School of Art
Glasgow School of Art Review
This is the most stunning example of the genius of architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh, who was only 28 when he won the commission. He worked on every detail—down to the interior design, furnishings, and lighting—to make this iconic art nouveau building, built between 1897 and 1909, a unified whole. Even the drainpipes are an integral part of the design. The building still functions as an art school, so book ahead for the daily guided tours. Otherwise, you can visit four galleries that host frequently changing exhibitions. A visitor center has a small exhibit on the designer and sells a good selection of prints, postcards, and books. The School of Art also organizes walking tours of Mackintosh's Glasgow that cost £19.50. Opposite the school is the modern Reid Building, opening in 2014, part of ongoing campus redevelopment.
- Address: 11 Dalhousie St., City Center, Glasgow, G3 6RQ | Map It
- Phone: 0141/353–4526
- Cost: Tours £9.75
- Hours: Building daily 10:30–5. Exhibitions Mon.–Sat. 10:30–4:30, Sat. 10–2. Tours are frequent and available all yr, times vary.
- Website: www.gsa.ac.uk/tours
- Metro Cowcaddens.
- Location: City Center
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Happened to log on and noticed a couple of people asking how we got on in London! Read more
Last night I had dinner in the Aqua restaurant in the Shard, on the 31st floor, with my colleagues, to celebrate a profitable six months, and the hard work and long hours put in by the team Read more
On June 4th I am flying into Charles de Gaulle Airport, 95700 Roissy-en-France around 8am. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more