- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's See It Scotland, 4th Edition
At a Glance
- eccentric grandeur
- comfortable beds
- slightly haphazard service
- brooding decor can look gloomy
Check Rates from our Partners
The cattle grazing on the hotel's 20-acre grounds let you know that you've entered a different world, even though you're five minutes by car from the Royal Mile. Inside this 1687 mansion, baroque opulence reigns in the well-restored public rooms; there are plenty of gilt treasures to relax among as you sip a whisky. Guest rooms are individually decorated, mixing antiques with the latest amenities for total indulgence. The romantic Rhubarb restaurant created by James Thomson—the man behind the Witchery—is suitably sumptuous: expect theatrical decor and a menu starring the best Scottish produce, such as hand-dived scallops, venison, and partridge.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Any last minute tips or suggestions...
Saas Fee (Switzerland)
5 days skiing
Paris (3 days)
London (3 days) Read more