- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Egyptian Sphinxes (Yegipetskiye Sfinksy)
Egyptian Sphinxes (Yegipetskiye Sfinksy) Review
Two of St. Petersburg's more magnificent landmarks stand on the landing in front of the Repin Institute, leading down to the Neva. These twin statues, which date from the 15th century BC, were discovered during an excavation at Thebes in the 1820s. They were apparently created during the era of Pharaoh Amenhotep III, whose features they supposedly bear. It took the Russians more than a year to transport the sphinxes from Thebes.
- Address: nab. Universitetskaya, Vasilievsky Island, St. Petersburg, 199034
- Metro: Vasileostrovskaya.
- Location: Vasilievsky Island
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hello first of all I'd apreciate A LOT if someone can instruct me or advise me in the following things:
I'm going for and exchange to St. Petersburg, Russia in january and my dad is kind of nervous abou Read more
· News & Features
Already in the spotlight for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics, Sochi, Russia, is also getting a swanky ... Read more
Earlier this summer, a a 19th Century royal palace in Russia's capital city of St.... Read more
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more