St. Petersburg Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
St. Petersburg Music
Russian Horn Capella. The ensemble revives the traditions of 18th-century Russian horn music, and is the only one of its kind in Russia. Apart from baroque pieces written specifically for horn, the musicians perform a repertoire of arrangements of well-known classical works. St. Petersburg. www.horncapella.ru.
St. Petersburg Male Choir. This marvelous choir led by artistic director Vadim Afanasiev, is a must-see. Their favorite venues are the Capella and Petropavlovsky Cathedral in Peter and Paul Fortress, where the choir performs Orthodox chants and choral works by Russian composers. The sound can be mesmerizing. St. Petersburg. www.malechoir.cpa-sr.com.
Terem Quartet. These famous local musicians have adapted classic works such as Oginsky's "Polonaise" and Schubert's "Ave Maria" for balalaika, bayan, domra, and alto domra to superb effect. Virtuosi in their instruments, and highly interactive in their performing style, which critics have branded "instrumental theater," they freely mix J.S. Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" with Russian folk songs, and make every concert a fun experience. St. Petersburg. www.terem-quartet.ru.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe