The Romanesque Duomo, the Cattedrale di San Zeno, dates from as early as the 5th century. It houses a magnificent silver altar dedicated to Saint James. The two half-figures on the left are by Filippo Brunelleschi (1377–1446), the first Renaissance architect (and designer of Florence's magnificent Duomo cupola). The octagonal Battistero, with green-and-white-stripe marble cladding, dates from the middle of the 14th century. Three of its eight sides have doorways; the main door facing the piazza is crowned with a rose window. Note the lovely little lantern crowning the top of the building.
- Address: Piazza del Duomo, Pistoia, 51100
- Phone: 0573/25095
- Cost: Free; access to altarpiece €2
- Hours: Church: Oct.–Apr., Mon.–Sat. 8–12:30 and 3:30–7, Sun. 8–1 and 3:30–7; May–Sept., daily 8–1 and 3:30–7. Altar: Mon.–Sat. 10–12:30 and 3–5:30, Sun. 8–9:30, 11–11:30, and 4–5:30
- Location: Pistoia