In restaurants a service charge of 10% to 15% may appear on your check. If so, it's not necessary to leave an additional tip. If service isn't included, leave a tip of up to 10%. Always leave your tip in cash, even if there's a line item on your credit-card slip for a tip (otherwise the server will never see it). Tip checkroom attendants €1 per person and restroom attendants €0.50 (more in expensive hotels and restaurants). In major cities, tip €0.50 or more for table service in cafés. At a hotel bar, tip €1 and up for a round or two of drinks.
Italians rarely tip taxi drivers, which isn't to say that you shouldn't. A euro or two is appreciated, particularly if the driver helps with luggage. Service-station attendants are tipped only for special services; give them €1 for checking your tires. Railway and airport porters charge a fixed rate per bag. Tip an additional €0.25 per person, more if the porter is helpful. Give a barber €1-€1.50 and a hairdresser's assistant €1.50-€4 for a shampoo or cut, depending on the type of establishment.
On sightseeing tours, tip guides about €1.50 per person for a half-day group tour, more if they're especially knowledgeable. In monasteries and other sights where admission is free, a contribution (€0.50-€1) is expected.
In hotels, give the portiere (concierge) about 10% of the bill for services, or €2.50-€5 for help with dinner reservations and such. Leave the chambermaid about €0.75 per day, or about €4.50-€5 a week in a moderately priced hotel; tip a minimum of €1 for valet or room service. In an expensive hotel, double these amounts; tip doormen €0.50 for calling a cab and €1.50 for carrying bags to the check-in desk and bellhops €1.50-€2.50 for carrying your bags to the room.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $92 & up -- Italy: Luxe Hotel Sale in Summer, 50% Off Accor Hotels
- $259 -- Venice: Luxury Boutique Hotel thru Summer, $45 Off LaGare Hotel Venezia Mgallery Collection
- $3099 -- Italy: 8-Nt. Vacation w/Air & Tours, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- Impressions of Italy IExplore