- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Known in Sardinia as Casteddu, the island's capital of nearly 160,000 inhabitants has steep streets and impressive Italianate architecture in styles ranging from modern to medieval. Cagliari is characterized by a busy commercial center and waterfront with broad avenues and arched arcades, as well as by the typically narrow streets of the old hilltop citadel (called, simply, Castello). A visit to the city is not complete without seeing the imposing Bastion of Saint Remy and strolling through Mercato di San Benedetto, considered to be one of the best fish markets in Italy.
Cagliari at a Glance
Elsewhere in Sardinia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's