- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Essential Italy
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
MAXXI—Museo Nazionale delle Arti del XXI Secolo (National Museum of 21st-Century Arts)
MAXXI—Museo Nazionale delle Arti del XXI Secolo (National Museum of 21st-Century Arts) Review
It took 10 years and cost some €150 million, but for lovers of contemporary art and architecture, Italy's first national museum devoted to contemporary creativity was worth it. The building alone impresses, as it should: the design, by Anglo-Iraqi starchitect Zaha Hadid, triumphed over 272 other contest entries. The building plays with lots of natural light, curving and angular lines, and big open spaces, all meant to question the division between "within" and "without" (think glass ceilings and steel staircases that twist through the air). While not every critic adored it at its 2010 unveiling, it's hard not to feel delighted by the surprisingly playful space.
The MAXXI hosts temporary exhibits on art, architecture, film, and more. Past shows have included a retrospective on top Arte Povera artist Michelangelo Pistoletto and an exhibit of works by architect and engineer Pietro Nervi. From the permanent collection, rotated through the museum, more than 350 works represent artists including Andy Warhol, Francesco Clemente, and Gerhard Richter.
- Address: Via Guido Reni 4, Flaminio, Rome, 00196 | Map It
- Phone: 06/32810
- Cost: €11
- Hours: Tues.–Fri. and Sun. 11–7, Sat. 11–10 (ticket office closes 1 hr earlier)
- Website: www.fondazionemaxxi.it
- Metro Flaminio, then Tram 2 to Apollodoro; Bus 53, 217, 280, 910.
- Location: Piazza del Popolo
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
After a fabulous vacation in Rome in November 2013, I was having a hard time getting the city out of my mind. Read more
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help for my planned Sicily trip - sadly my Mum took sick and I've had to call the whole thing off! Read more
We are driving from Venice to MXP airport on a Tuesday. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more