- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
MAXXI—Museo Nazionale delle Arti del XXI Secolo (National Museum of 21st-Century Arts)
MAXXI—Museo Nazionale delle Arti del XXI Secolo (National Museum of 21st-Century Arts) Review
It took 10 years and cost some €150 million, but for lovers of contemporary art and architecture, Italy's first national museum devoted to contemporary creativity was worth it. The building alone impresses, as it should: the design, by Anglo-Iraqi starchitect Zaha Hadid, triumphed over 272 other contest entries. The building plays with lots of natural light, curving and angular lines, and big open spaces, all meant to question the division between "within" and "without" (think glass ceilings and steel staircases that twist through the air). While not every critic adored it at its 2010 unveiling, it's hard not to feel delighted by the surprisingly playful space.
The MAXXI hosts temporary exhibits on art, architecture, film, and more. Past shows have included a retrospective on top Arte Povera artist Michelangelo Pistoletto and an exhibit of works by architect and engineer Pietro Nervi. From the permanent collection, rotated through the museum, more than 350 works represent artists including Andy Warhol, Francesco Clemente, and Gerhard Richter.
- Address: Via Guido Reni 4, Flaminio, Rome, 00196 | Map It
- Phone: 06/39967350
- Cost: €11
- Hours: Tues.–Fri. and Sun. 11–7, Sat. 11–10 (ticket office closes 1 hr earlier)
- Website: www.fondazionemaxxi.it
- Metro Flaminio, then Tram 2 to Apollodoro; Bus 53, 217, 280, 910.
- Location: Piazza del Popolo
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We drove to the Hotel Bonconte in Urbino - another hotel not easy to find. Read more
Just returned from a fabulous 2 1/2 weeks in Le Marche, ending with 4 days in Rome.
We arrived at Fiumicino at about 2pm. We didn't want to go into Rome - just rent a car and head north. The first nigh Read more
My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon departing NYC May 26th and coming back around June 11th (dates flexible). We are looking to relax, not rush, wander old streets, sit outside and ea Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more