Dublin Airport is the main arrival point for the whole country, with regular flights from most of the world's major destinations. With the new road system, it is relatively easy to get from the airport to even the most isolated area in a few hours. Shannon Airport in County Clare also has direct flights from the United States and is a good starting point if you plan to explore in the West and Southwest. Belfast is the main airport in Northern Ireland and has direct flights from the East Coast of the United States. Smaller airports at Cork and Knock have regular flights to the United Kingdom and mainland Europe. Ferries from Britain and France arrive at ports in Dublin, Rosslare, Larne, and Cork.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe