- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The heritage town of Trim, on the River Boyne, contains some of the finest medieval ruins in Ireland. In 1359, on the instructions of King Edward III, the town was walled and its fortifications were strengthened. In the 15th century, several parliaments were held here. Oliver Cromwell massacred most of its inhabitants when he captured the town in 1649. In the old town hall, the visitor center has an audiovisual display depicting the arrival of the Normans and the story of medieval Trim.
Trim at a Glance
Elsewhere in Dublin Environs
- The Curragh
- Hill of Tara
- Kildare Town
- King William's Glen
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's