- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Rostock, the biggest port and shipbuilding center of the former East Germany, was founded around 1200. Of all the Hanseatic cities, the once-thriving Rostock suffered the most from the dissolution of the League in 1669. The GDR reestablished Rostock as a major port, but shipbuilding work has been cut in half since unification. Ferries from Gedser (Denmark) and Trelleborg (Sweden) come here. The population of Rostock doubles in the summer due to Baltic cruise ships that dock in Warnemünde. The biggest local annual attraction is Hanse Sail, a week of yacht racing held in August.
Rostock at a Glance
Elsewhere in Schleswig-Holstein and the Baltic Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's