Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall)
Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) Review
This ancient building on Rathausplatz abuts the rear of St. Sebaldus Kirche; it was erected in 1332, destroyed in World War II, and subsequently reconstructed. Its intact medieval dungeons, consisting of 12 small rooms and one large torture chamber called the Lochgefängnis (or the Hole), provide insight into the gruesome applications of medieval law. Gänsemännchenbrunnen (Gooseman's Fountain) faces the Altes Rathaus. This lovely Renaissance bronze fountain, cast in 1550, is a work of rare elegance and great technical sophistication.
View deals in Franconia and the German Danube for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More