- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
In the 11th and 12th centuries one of the most important places of pilgrimage in the Christian world, hilltop Vézelay is today a picturesque, somewhat isolated, village. Its one main street, Rue St-Étienne, climbs steeply and stirringly to the summit and its medieval basilica, world-famous for its Romanesque sculpture. In summer you have to leave your car at the bottom and walk up. Off-season you can drive up and look for parking in the square.
Vézelay at a Glance
Elsewhere in Burgundy
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's