- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Although centered in the heart of Alsace 490 km (304 miles) east of Paris, and drawing appealingly on Alsatian gemütlichkeit (coziness), the city of Strasbourg is a cosmopolitan French cultural center and the symbolic if unofficial capital of Europe. The Romans knew Strasbourg as Argentoratum before it came to be known as Strateburgum, or City of (Cross) Roads. After centuries as part of the Germanic Holy Roman Empire, the city was united with France in 1681, but retained independence regarding legislation, education, and religion under the honorific title Free Royal City.
Against an irresistible backdrop of old half-timber houses, waterways, and the colossal single spire of its red-sandstone cathedral, which seems to insist imperiously that you pay homage to its majestic beauty, Strasbourg is a symbolic city, embodying Franco-German reconciliation and the wider idea of a united Europe. You'll discover an incongruously sophisticated mix of museums, charming neighborhoods like La Petite France, elite schools (including that notorious hothouse for blooming politicos, the École Nationale d'Administration, or National Administration School), international think tanks, and the European Parliament. The strasbourgeoisie have a lot to be proud of.
Strasbourg at a Glance
- Barrage Vauban (Vauban Dam)
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame
- European Parliament
- Musée Alsacien (Alsatian Museum)
- Musée d'Art Moderne et Contemporain (Modern and Contemporary Art Museum)
- Musée de l'Œuvre Notre-Dame (Cathedral Museum)
Elsewhere in Alsace-Lorraine
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe