- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Scarborough Castle Review
There's been a clifftop stone fortress on this promontory between the North and South bays since 1136, when it was built by the Earl of Albemarle. Some stonework remains from a 4th century Roman signaling station on the site, and archaeological digs have uncovered evidence that prehistoric fortifications existed here as far back as 500 BC. In 1158, Henry II added the massive keep that dominates the existing ruins, along with the massive curtain walls that made the castle virtually impregnable. It remained largely unscathed until Cromwell's cannons did their worst during the Civil War. Further demolition came in 1914 when German warships shelled the town, and in 2012 when local vandals significantly damaged the Roman stonework. The castle has a spectacular panoramic view of the coast.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
England’s Yorkshire inspired the Brontë sisters’ classic novels including Jane Eyre, ... Read more