- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Eights Week. At the end of May, during Oxford's Eights Week, men and women from the university's colleges compete to be "Head of the River." Because the river is too narrow for the eight-member teams to race side by side, the boats set off one behind another. Each boat tries to catch and bump the one in front. Oxford.
Oxford University Cricket Club. The highly regarded Oxford University Cricket Club competes against leading county teams in late spring and summer, as well as major foreign teams visiting Britain each summer. In the middle of the sprawling University Parks—itself worthy of a walk—the club's playing field is truly lovely. Oxford. www.cricketintheparks.org.uk.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Holiday Inn Express Oxford 3 Nts in May Fr $104+/Nt Expedia
- Oxford Spires Four Pillars in May: $220 & Up Expedia
- Book the The Holt 3 Nts in May Fr $143+/Nt — $143 Expedia
- Book 3-Star Days Inn Oxford in Oxford Fr $99+/Nt — $99 Expedia
- Book in Oxford: Save at the Holiday Inn Oxford in May Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Expedia