- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
The turrets and towers of Tudor-style Cragside, a Victorian country house, look out over the edge of a forested hillside. It was built between 1864 and 1895 by Lord Armstrong, an early electrical engineer and inventor, and designed by Richard Norman Shaw, a well-regarded architect. Among Armstrong's contemporaries Cragside was called "the palace of a modern magician" because it contained so many of his inventions. This was the first house in the world to be lighted by hydroelectricity; the grounds also hold an energy center with restored mid-Victorian machinery. There are Pre-Raphaelite paintings and an elaborate mock-Renaissance marble chimneypiece. The gardens, including a huge rock garden and a sculpture trail, are as impressive as the house; in June rhododendrons bloom in the 660-acre park surrounding the mansion. There's also a children's adventure playground. Paths around the grounds are steep and distances can be long, so wear comfortable shoes.
- Address: Off A697 and B6341, Rothbury, NE65 7PX | Map It
- Phone: 01669/620333
- Cost: Grounds and house £14; grounds only £9
- Hours: House Mar.–mid-July and Sept.–late Oct., Tues.–Fri. 1–5, weekends 11–5; mid-July–Aug., daily 11–5. Grounds Mar.–Oct., Tues.–Sun. 10–7; Nov.–late Dec., Fri.–Sun. 11–4
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Morpeth
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We will have 10 days to do some touring from the beginning of May.
We will depart from London and had been thinking to head north. Visiting York and heading to the Lakes District. Is this a good choice? Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more