- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hemmed in by towering hills,Ullswater, the region's second-largest lake, is one of the least developed, drawing people for its calm waters and good access to the mountain slopes of Helvellyn. The A592 winds along the lake's pastoral western shore, through the adjacent hamlets of Glenridding and Patterdale at the southern end. Lakeside strolls, great views, tea shops, and rowboat rentals provide the full Lakeland experience.
Ullswater at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Lake District
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's