- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Manchester lies at the heart of a tangle of motorways in the northwest of England, about a half hour across the Pennines from Yorkshire. It's 70 miles from the southern edge of the Lake District. The city spreads west toward the coast and the mouth of the River Mersey, where Liverpool is still centered on its busy port. To see any great natural beauty, however, you must head east to the Peak District, a national park less than an hour's drive southeast of Manchester. It’s also where you’ll find two of the grandest and best-preserved historic homes in all of Britain: Chatsworth and Haddon Hall.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's