- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Karlštejn castle Review
If it's a picture-book European castle you're after, look no further. Perched atop a wooded hillside, Karlštejn comes complete with battlements, turrets, and towers. Once Charles IV's summer palace, Karlštejn was originally built to hold and guard the crown jewels (which were moved to Prague Castle's St. Vitus's Cathedral in 1619). There is a fairly strenuous hike up to the castle—lined with souvenir stands and overpriced snack bars—but it's worth the journey. Once you've reached the top, take time to walk the ramparts and drink in the panorama of the village and countryside below. There's a slightly bewildering list of different interior tours, but the pick of the bunch is tour number two, which includes the castle's greatest treasure, the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which once held the crown jewels. Tours of the chapel are limited (and more expensive than the other tour route), so you must book in advance. There's an exterior tour too if it's a sunny day, or you can poke your head around the exterior courtyards at no cost. Because of its proximity to Prague, it is the most-visited site outside of the Czech capital, so be prepared for crowds, especially in the high summer months.
- Address: Karlštejn 18, Karlštejn, Bohemia 267 18
- Phone: 311–681–617 castle information and advance bookings
- Cost: Tour 1: 270 Kč; Tour 2: 300 Kč plus reservation fee 30 Kč, available only May–Oct., Tour 3: view from the great tower, 120 Kč, Tour 4: 40 Kč without guide to walk walls behind the third gate.
- Hours: Tues.–Sun.: Nov.–Feb. 10–3, Mar. 9:30–4, Apr.–May 9:30–5, June and Sept. 9:30–5:30, July–Aug. 9:30–6:30, Oct. 9:30–4:30
- Website: www.hradkarlstejn.cz
- Location: Karlštejn
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
My sister and I have 16 nights/15 days planned in Central Europe this upcoming May/June. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more