- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Croatia and Slovenia, 2nd Edition
Katedrala Sveti Lovrijenac (Cathedral of St. Lawrence)
Katedrala Sveti Lovrijenac (Cathedral of St. Lawrence) Review
The remarkable Katedrala Sveti Lovrijenac, completed in 1250, is a perfect example of the massiveness and power of Romanesque architecture. The most striking detail is the main (west) portal, adorned with superb Romanesque sculpture by the Croatian master Radovan. The great door, flanked by a pair of imperious lions that form pedestals for figures of Adam and Eve, is framed by a fascinating series illustrating the daily life of peasants in a kind of Middle Ages comic strip. In the dimly lit Romanesque interior, the 15th-century chapel of Sveti Ivan Orsini (St. John Orsini) of Trogir features statues of saints and apostles in niches facing the sarcophagus, on which lies the figure of St. John. The bell tower, built in successive stages—the first two stories Gothic, the third Renaissance—offers stunning views across the ancient rooftops.
- Address: Trg Ivana Pavla II, Trogir, 21220
- Phone: 021/881–550
- Cost: 25 Kn
- Hours: June–Sept., daily 8–6; May and Oct., daily 8–noon and 4–6; Nov.–Apr., phone in advance
- Location: Trogir
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last year me and my friends decided to take a trip to Europe, but not the more touristy western part of the continent, but the lesser traveled Eastern part of the same. Read more
In late September/early October, my husband and I took our honeymoon: a week-long cycling trip from Venice to Porec, followed by a (non-cycling) week of wine tasting and relaxing in Istria and Slovenia. Read more
Has anyone ever had any experience working with Adriatic Travel Agency: http://adriatictours.com?
We are thinking of using them for some things in Croatia, but can't find any reviews on them.
Thanks i Read more
· News & Features
Tired of following the pack? ... Read more
Everyone knows Europe's heavy-hitters.... Read more
'Tis the season for truffled travels.... Read more