- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Omiš and the Cetina Valley
An easy day trip from Split, Omiš is a pleasant seaside town with a colorful open-air market and a conglomeration of old stone houses backed by a small hilltop fortress. What makes it special is its location at the mouth of a dramatic gorge, where the Cetina River meets the sea. It is also the venue of the Dalmatian Klapa Festival, which attracts singers from all over Croatia. The Cetina River carves a spectacular gorge with the fertile, green Cetina Valley at the bottom, surrounded by sheer limestone cliffs. As the river tumbles its way down toward the sea over a series of rapids, it has become a popular and challenging site for rafting and rock climbing. An asphalt road follows the course of the river upstream from Omiš, leading to a couple of pleasant waterside restaurants.
Omiš and the Cetina Valley at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe