A colorful yet low-key square that lies at the center of Hanseatic Brugge, the Jan van Eyckplein is landmarked with a statue of the famed 15th-century painter. It includes the old Tolhuis (Customs House), built in 1477, where vehicles on their way to market had to stop while tolls were levied on goods brought from nearby ports. The building is now an information office for the province of West Flanders. The Poortersloge, a late-Gothic building with a slender spire, was owned by the guild of porters and used as a meeting place for the burghers. Currently, it's used to store historic documents but is occasionally open for exhibitions. The bear occupying one niche represents the legendary creature speared by Baldwin of the Iron Arm that later became the symbol of the city.
Intersection of Academiestraat, Spiegelrei, and Spanjaardstraat, Brugge, B8000, Belgium