Set into the building on the west side of Kärntnerstrasse is one of the city's odder relics, the Stock-im-Eisen, or the "nail-studded stump." Chronicles first mention the Stock-im-Eisen in 1533, but it is probably far older, and for hundreds of years any apprentice metalsmith who came to Vienna to learn his trade hammered a nail into the tree trunk for good luck. During World War II, when there was talk of moving the relic to a museum in Munich, it mysteriously disappeared;
it reappeared, perfectly preserved, after the threat of removal had passed.
Stock-im-Eisen-Platz, Kärtnerstrasse and Singerstrasse, Vienna, A-1010, Austria