- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The Graben Review
One of Vienna's major crossroads, the Graben's unusual width gives it the presence and weight of a city square. Its shape is due to the Romans, who chose this spot for the city's southwestern moat (Graben literally means "moat" or "ditch"). The Graben's centerpiece is the effulgently Baroque Pestsäule, or Plague Column. Erected by Emperor Leopold I between 1687 and 1693 as thanks to God for delivering the city from a particularly virulent plague, today the representation looks more like a host of cherubs doing their best to cope with the icing of a wedding cake wilting under a hot sun. Protestants may be disappointed to learn that the foul figure of the Pest also stands for the heretic plunging away from the "true faith" into the depths of hell.
- Address: Between Kärntnerstrasse and Kohlmarkt, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010
- U-Bahn: U1 or U3/Stephansplatz.
- Location: The Inner City Center: Baroque Gems and Vienna's Shopwindows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
I have been able to get a flight to Vienna to meet up with long lost friends. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more