- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Many travelers used to think of Bad Ischl primarily as the town where Zauner's pastry shop is located, to which connoisseurs drove miles for the sake of a cup of coffee and a slice of Guglhupf, a lemon sponge cake studded with raisins and nuts. Pastry continues to be the best-known drawing card of a community that symbolizes, more than any other place except Vienna itself, the Old Austria of resplendent uniforms and balls and waltzes and operettas.
Although the center is built up, the town is charmingly laid out on a peninsula between the Rivers Traun and Ischl. Bad Ischl was the place where Emperor Franz Josef chose to establish his summer court, and it was here that he met and fell in love with his future empress, the troubled Sisi, though his mother had intended him for Sisi's elder sister. Today you can enjoy the same sort of pastries mit Schlag (whipped cream) that the emperor loved. Afterward, you can hasten off to the town's modern spa, one of the best-known in Austria.
Bad Ischl at a Glance
Elsewhere in Salzkammergut
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- BEST WESTERN Stieglbrau on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt Save with Expedia, $25/night less
- Salzburg Savings! Book at Sacher Salzburg Fr $406+/Nt Expedia
- Salzburg Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $658+/Nt — $658 Expedia
- Salzburg Savings! Book at Castellani Park Fr $225+/Nt — $225 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Villa Carlton Fr $413+/Nt — $413 Expedia