- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Trinidad has some good beaches —the best being Maracas Bay—but none is as picture-perfect as those on Tobago. Without the manicured, country-club elegance you will find on many islands, the Tobago beaches feel wilder and hark back to a time when towering hotels didn't line every picturesque Caribbean crescent.
Bird-watching is one of the highlights of a trip to either Trinidad or Tobago; both islands have reserves where you'll see a wide variety of species.
Diving is good off the shores of Tobago, particularly around Arnos Vale Reef, off the island's west coast.
Golfers will do better on Tobago, which has one excellent course and two other good ones.
Nightlife is much better in Port of Spain, with live music being a particular highlight. In general Tobago is much quieter after dark.
Festivals and Events
Trinidad's Carnival in January, February, or March is the biggest and best celebration in the Caribbean.
The Tobago Heritage Festival is usually held in late July.
Divali, held in October or November and called the Festival of Lights, is one of the more popular Hindu festivals in Trinidad.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's