- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Guadeloupe's beaches can be outstanding, but few resorts are on the island's best, which are mostly along the southern shore of Grande-Terre and the out-islands.
Visitors come instead for good diving, and the chance to hike and explore in Basse-Terre's wild national park.
Good water sports make up for sometimes mediocre hotel beaches; windsurfing, sailing, fishing, and Jet-skiing are all fun. Biking isn't limited to the annual race.
Enjoy dining at one of Guadeloupe's fine restaurants serving creole cuisine or aFranco-Caribbean fusion.
Although shopping isn't the best, night owls will find fun bars and clubs, and a lively music scene.
On the smaller islands —Marie-Galante, La Désirade, and Les Saintes—relaxing, sunbathing, and soaking up some old-time Caribbean atmosphere usually rank among the top activities.
Guadeloupe has become a pioneer in certain sectors such as ecotourism, from canyoning to hiking to the volcano, every manner of boating excursion, major diving activity, and attractions such as Jardin Botanique.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 & up -- Jamaica Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free, $490 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore