At a Glance
- good value
- rocking chairs on front porch a nice touch
- massages under thatch-capped gazebos
- substantial improvements
- lacks class or much spirit
- cash only
Check Rates from our Partners
Playa Azul Review
Overlooking a secluded beach snug in its tranquil cove, this is one of the Southwest's newer (2006) and better lodging options. The rooms are quite comfortable, and there's cable TV, though no English-language channels. The hotel itself, two stucco blocks of units, is unattractive. Reserve the first tier of rooms: the second tier, right behind them, has no sea views. The two newest casitas, Nos. 19 and 20, are the best. They're spacious and have great design, but why didn't they build them so that they both faced the water? Still, these two are indicative of an upward movement here. Kudos for the better bedding and outdoor massage cabanas! Now cell phones can get a signal in the restaurant, where there is also Wi-Fi. Although two of the three owners are French (the couple's partner is Dominican), for the most part the décor is strictly local. The new offerings at the alfresco restaurant (three meals daily) are drool-worthy! Fresh octopus grilled and served a la Gallega is just that, as is the traditional pumpkin soup, whimsically named Crema of Halloween. The freshest grilled fish and lobster now have some appealing sauces, and, for dessert, the piña coladas are perfection. Prices include an ample breakfast and all taxes.
- Address: Km 7, Carretera Barahona–Enriquillo, Enriquillo, 8100
- Phone: 809/424–5375
- Location: Barahona
- 20 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more