Shopping in Punta Cana
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Punta Cana Shopping
Souvenirs and crafts are the focus of shopping in Punta Cana, and there are few outlets for high-end clothing or accessories. As in the rest of the country, the regional specialty products are cigars, coffee, larimar and amber jewelry, mamajuana (an herbal liqueur), and rum (especially the locally made premium Brugal).
Most resorts have a few retail shops, but prices are higher than what you would pay for similar goods in the nearby shopping plazas or at kiosks on the beach. Many vendors sell crafts and goods from neighboring Haiti, too, so if you're looking for something specifically Dominican, make sure that's what you're getting. Some resorts have a weekly Dominican theme night, which typically includes local vendors setting up their stalls in a central plaza, where guests can peruse the offerings and try to strike a bargain without ever leaving the resort.
Shopping in the plazas with outdoor kiosks, the sound track is the constant hum of greeting, searching, and haggling. Shopkeepers tend to be persistent when trying to lure you in, but are generally friendly. In regular stores prices are not negotiable, but bargaining is expected at the kiosks.
Browse Punta Cana Shopping
Browse Punta Cana Shopping By Location
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's