- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Unless you are staying in Roseau or doing extensive guided tours, a car may be a necessity. Cabs can be very expensive. Daily car-rental rates begin at about $35 to $70 per day (weekly and long-term rates can be negotiated). A refundable $800 to $1,800 deposit or credit card confirmation is required at the time of pickup. You'll need to buy a visitor's driving permit for $12 at one of the airports or at the Traffic Division office on High Street in Roseau or at vehicle-rental offices. Gasoline stations are all over the island; at this writing, gas costs about $5.60 per gallon. Driving in Dominica is on the left side, though you can rent vehicles with a steering wheel on either the left or the right.
Best Deal Rent-A-Car (15 Hanover St., Roseau. 767/449–9204 or 767/616–3325. bestdealrentacar.dm.)
Courtesy Car Rental. There are two locations; one at that Melville Hall Airport and one in the town of Roseau. 10 Winston Ln., Goodwill. 767/448–7763 or 767/235–7763. www.dominicacarrentals.com.
Road Runner Car Rental. At all of its non-Portsmouth locations, the reasonably priced Road Runner Car Rental will deliver and pick up cars at no charge. Canffield Hwy., Roseau. 767/275–5337. www.roadrunnercarrental.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's