- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Loma de San Juan
Loma de San Juan Review
Made famous by Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders, San Juan Hill lies just south of Reparto Vista Alegre. Today it's a park, in the Reparto San Juan neighborhood, covered by monuments left by U.S. and Cuban militaries, dedicated to the the battle fought here during the Spanish-American War. It's a lovely passive spot, with amusements for small children in the Parque de Diversiones —identifiable by its large Ferris wheel—at the base of the hill. It also marks the official start of the Baconao Nature Reserve, which covers the mountain and coastal regions east of Santiago.
Near the Parque de Diversiones you'll find Santiago's Parque Zoológico, which has animals from around the world. Av. Raúl Pujol, near San Juan Hill, Santiago de Cuba, Santiago de Cuba. No phone. 1 cuc. Tues.–Sun. 1–5.
- Location: Santiago de Cuba
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture, ... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more