- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Plaza Calixto García
Plaza Calixto García Review
Holguín's small historic district hugs the Plaza Calixto García, a square graced by large trees and a marble bust of Calixto García, a local general in the Ten Years War (1868-78) for independence from Spain. It's lined with colonial buildings containing residences, small shops, the Casa de la Trova (where music is often performed), the Teatro Comandante Eddy Sunoi, and the Centro de Arte Salón Moncada, with its occasional painting and photography exhibits.
The Museo Historia Provincial, in the former Casino Español at the plaza's north end, contains an exhibit of pre-Columbian artifacts as well as displays on the Revolution and the province's role in it. Locally, the redbrick building is known as La Periquera (The Parrot Cage), because brightly dressed Spanish officers peered through its barred windows while the city was under siege by General García's troops in 1868. 198 Calle Frexes, Holguín, Holguín. 24/46-3395. 1 cuc. Mon.-Sat. noon-7.
- Location: Holguín
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Escorted Havana Tour w/Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
· News & Features
Recently relaxed travel restrictions mean that Cuba, with its beautiful architecture and vibrant culture, ... Read more
The longstanding travel restrictions between the US and Cuba continue to ease, with new licenses granted... Read more
We recently asked you, dear readers, about your most unforgettable travel experiences.... Read more