- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Frequent daily ferries connect Tortola with St. Thomas, which many vacationers decide to use as their main air gateway. Ferries go to and from both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. There's huge competition between the Tortola-based ferry companies on the St. Thomas–Tortola runs, with boats leaving close together. As you enter the ferry terminal to buy your ticket, crews may try to convince you to take their ferry. Ferries also link Tortola to St. John, where all Red Hook–bound ferries stop in Cruz Bay to clear customs and immigration. Ferries also link Tortola with Jost Van Dyke, Peter Island, and Virgin Gorda. Tortola has two ferry terminals—one at West End and one in Road Town—and a jetty at Beef Island where ferries depart for Virgin Gorda, so make sure you hop a ferry that disembarks closest to where you want to go. Ferry schedules vary, and not all companies make daily trips. The BVI Tourist Board website has links to all the ferry companies.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's