- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's In Focus Barbados & St. Lucia
Folkestone Marine Park and Visitor Centre
Folkestone Marine Park and Visitor Centre Review
The mission of family-oriented Folkestone Marine Park, a marine protected area just north of Holetown, is to provide high-quality recreational activities in a sustainable way that will educate and entertain Barbadians and visitors alike. Facilities include a playground, basketball court, picnic area, museum, and beach with lifeguards. The museum (two rooms with artifacts and photos of how the sea is used for various purposes) illuminates some of the island's marine life. For some firsthand viewing, there's an underwater snorkeling trail (equipment rental, $10 for the day) around Dottins Reef, just off the beach in the protected marine reserve area; nonswimmers can enjoy a glass-bottom boat tour. A barge sunk in shallow water is home to myriad fish, making it a popular dive site. The park is open around the clock, with full security; lifeguards are on duty at the beach from 9 to 5:30 every day. A canteen serves snacks and drinks.
- Address: Hwy. 1, Church Point, Holetown, St. James
- Phone: 246/425–2871
- Cost: Free; 60 cents to view the exhibits
- Hours: Park daily 24 hrs; museum weekdays 9:30–5
- Location: Central Barbados
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This was our first trip to the Caribbean and we were not disappointed! Read more
Our holiday in Barbados was structured thus: 2 days Amaryllis Hotel, Hastings; 7 days cruise (not reported here); 5 days Bougainvillea Hotel, Maxwell.
The Amaryllis is a good enough hotel staffed by, as Read more
Barbados Advice for family.
I was planning another trip to Jamaica where I stayed at a villa at My Silversands. I loved it. Had a housekeeper and cook so we could relax and play with the kids. Our kids Read more
· News & Features
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach ... Read more
Whether you call it rum, rhum, or ron, rum is one of the most diverse spirits in the world.... Read more
Put down that umbrella drink.... Read more