- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's In Focus Barbados & St. Lucia
Farley Hill Review
At this national park in northern St. Peter, across the road from the Barbados Wildlife Reserve, gardens and lawns—along with an avenue of towering royal palms and gigantic mahogany, whitewood, and casuarina trees—surround the imposing ruins of a plantation greathouse built by Sir Graham Briggs in 1861 to entertain royal visitors from England. Partially rebuilt for the filming of Island in the Sun, the classic 1957 film starring Harry Belafonte and Dorothy Dandridge, the structure was destroyed by fire in 1965. Behind the estate, there's a sweeping view of the region called Scotland for its rugged landscape. The park is also the site of various festivals and musical events during the year.
- Address: Farley Hill, St. Peter
- Cost: $2 per car, pedestrians free
- Hours: Daily 8:30–6
- Location: Northern Barbados
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This was our first trip to the Caribbean and we were not disappointed! Read more
Our holiday in Barbados was structured thus: 2 days Amaryllis Hotel, Hastings; 7 days cruise (not reported here); 5 days Bougainvillea Hotel, Maxwell.
The Amaryllis is a good enough hotel staffed by, as Read more
I volunteer as an animal rescue person and would like to find a Caribbean Island that does not have a big stray dog and cat problem - so I can go away and relax and not be depressed.
Any suggestions would Read more
· News & Features
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach ... Read more
Whether you call it rum, rhum, or ron, rum is one of the most diverse spirits in the world.... Read more
Put down that umbrella drink.... Read more