- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Off the Great Abaco Highway at the turn in the road that takes you to Sandy Point, a rugged, single-lane dirt track leads you to this navigational lighthouse that stands on Great Abaco's southern tip. The lighthouse was constructed in 1838 against local opposition from islanders who depended on salvaging shipwrecks for their livelihood. Over the years the lighthouse has survived sabotage and hurricanes, and was automated in 1995 to continue serving maritime interests. The Bahamas Marine Mammal Research Organisation has leased the site to monitor whale movements and conduct other ocean studies.
- Address: South of Sandy Point., Great Abaco Island
- Location: South of Marsh Harbour
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We had a short (3 day) trip to Sandals Grand Bahamian. Read more
It took over four months, but I have finally prepared a trip report from the
Bahamas in February. Read more
Hello Forum Members !!!!!
Have read a lot about this community n i think its time for me n my fiance to put up our honeymoon query !! We from New Delhi, India, and are planning to visit the Caribbea Read more
· News & Features
It's not too late to book a festive Christmas cruise to the Caribbean! ... Read more
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more