- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
At a Glance
- Prime seafront location
- spectacular outlook from rooms and oceanfront restaurant and bar
- close to the main road, some traffic noise in some units
Check Rates from our Partners
Punakaiki Resort Review
The modern beach-house design blends well with the dynamic coastal site; the front steps of the hotel reach almost onto the beach, and driftwood, flax, sand, and surf are all part of the deal. There's a mix of hotel rooms on the seaward side of the road and eco-rooms and villas just across the road; the villas have a small kitchenette area. A pedestrian tunnel goes under the road so you don't have to dodge the tourist traffic. Jacob's Grill Restaurant and the Club Bar have floor-to-ceiling windows so you can enjoy the outlook, no matter what the weather. Good, modern New Zealand fare is served and only house guests can book in, so feel priviledged. Ask for a room on the seaward side for a really salty, surf-crashing view.
- Address: State Hwy. 6, 2, 200 yards south of Pancake Rocks Punakaiki, 7873
- Phone: 03/731–1168; 0800/786–2524 (NZ only)
- Website: www.punakaiki-resort.co.nz
- Location: Paparoa National Park
- 27 rooms, 12 eco-rooms, 22 villas.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
We are a couple in our mid 60's taking our first trip to NZ & Australia.
Since we will be flying from Boston, USA, we will stay a night in LA and then on to Aukland. We are now thinking maybe one week Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more