- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Franz Josef Glacier Country Retreat
At a Glance
- farm tours and animals
- salmon in the creek
- transfers to Franz Josef village are available on request
- well back from road
- some of the downstairs rooms are rather small
Franz Josef Glacier Country Retreat Review
Although this grand home was only built in 2005, it evokes a feeling of the past that climbs right out of the landscape. The owners are a local family and their heritage is very much a part of this place. The lodge is surrounded by a 200-acre working farm and backed by tall snowcapped peaks often shrouded in mist. It's only a five-minute drive into Franz Josef village. Breakfast is served in the dining room, which serves teas later in the day.
- Address: 6 kms north of Franz Josef, State Hwy. 6, Lake Mapourika Lake Mapourika, Westland National Park, 7856
- Phone: 03/7520012; 0800/3726956733
- Website: www.glacier-retreat.co.nz
- Location: Westland National Park
- 10 rooms, 2 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
August 15-Sept 14, 2013
My love affair with the South Island of New Zealand continues. Read more
dumb question perhaps - I have looked at weather and still trying to figure out how to dress for glacier - We are travelling for 43 days in total.
Leave Dec 4 Auckland to Queenstown (Dec. 25) using the Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more