- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nelson Lakes has a number of half-, full-, and multiday trails that can be "freedom walked" (walked without a guide). The Lake Rotoiti Circuit gets you around the lake in an easy daylong walk. The rather steep Mt. Robert Track zigzags up the face of Mt. Robert, giving you a superb view back across the lake toward St. Arnaud village. The return walk can be done by looping down the face of the mountain to meet up with the Lake Rotoiti Circuit track. Other tracks lead off these into the higher mountain areas. Hut accommodations are available on a "first-in, first-served" basis. This is a rugged, wild area so alpine experience and equipment are necessary on the longer tracks.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's