- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ultimate Descents New Zealand. Ultimate Descents New Zealand, with highly experienced guides, runs rafting trips on the Maruia (Grade III), Clarence (Grade II), Buller (Grade III–IV), Mokihinui (Grade IV) and Karamea (Grade V) rivers. It also runs inflatable kayaking on the easier rivers. All half-day and day trips include a light snack, and the multiday trips are fully catered. 51 Fairfax St., Murchison, 7007. 03/523–9899 or 0800/748–377. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.rivers.co.nz. half-day suitable for kids NZ$95, adults NZ$130; full-day $240; multiday wilderness trips NZ$500–$1,500—minimum of four people unless trip is already running.
New Zealand Kayak School. The New Zealand Kayak School, known to be one of the country's best, offers tuition and training camps based at its Murchison facility. They'll also organize and guide multi-day kayaking trips on local rivers on request. 03/352–5786. www.nzkayakschool.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe