- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rafting and Kayaking
Alpine Kayak Guides. Exploring this stunning region's rivers with Alpine Kayak Guides is a must while in Wanaka. This company caters to smaller groups, which means a lot of attention for beginners. You'll learn how to glide into a calm eddy, to wave surf, and to safely charge down the center of the white water; if that's what you want to do. All your gear's provided, right down to the thermals under your wetsuit. They do tailor-made trips into other areas, too. 119 Main Rd., Wanaka, 9301. 03/443–9023. www.alpinekayaks.co.nz. From NZ$165 for half-day.
Pioneer Rafting. At Pioneer Rafting you can do some white-water rafting at a calmer pace. Lewis Verduyn is New Zealand's leading eco-rafting specialist. His highly informative eco-rafting adventure, suitable for most ages, retraces a historic pioneer log-raft route. Both full-day and half-day trips are available, and leave from the Visitor Information Centre in Wanaka. Lake Wanaka i-SITE Visitor Centere, 103 Ardmore St., Wanaka, 0343. 03/443–1246. From NZ$145.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's