- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rafting and Kayaking
Alpine Kayak Guides. Exploring this stunning region's rivers with Alpine Kayak Guides' Geoff Deacon is a must while in Wanaka. This company caters to smaller groups, which means a lot of attention for beginners. You'll learn how to glide into a calm eddy, to wave surf, and to safely charge down the center of the white water. You will spill, and for this reason all your gear, right down to the polypropylene underwear, is provided. The full-day trip costs NZ$280 per person and a half-day is NZ$150. 70 Main Rd., Luggate, 9301. 03/443–9023. www.alpinekayaks.co.nz.
Pioneer Rafting. At Pioneer Rafting you can do some white-water rafting at a calm pace. Lewis Verduyn is New Zealand's leading eco-rafting specialist. His highly informative eco-rafting adventure, suitable for most ages, retraces a historic pioneer log-raft route. Both full-day (NZ$195) and half-day (NZ$145) trips are available, and leave from the Visitor Information Centre in Wanaka. 03/443–1246.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe